Sunday, June 20, 2010

Father's Day: The Past and The Present...and Maybe the Future

I know that this blog was supposed to be a little about my life and mostly about my love for Disney, but for today, I think I will not mention Disney at all.

First of all my Father passed away 10 1/2 years ago very suddenly. No warning, went away for a business trip to Hawaii, stayed longer to vacation and ended up having a heart attack while snorkeling. Never got a chance to say good-bye to him. Never got a chance to give him one last hug and kiss. Just got the dreaded phone call that no one wants to get. (On a side note, the only thing that is keeping me from crying while writing this is the fact that my son is crawling all over me and my laptop while I am typing trying to feed me pretzel sticks...my son who is named after my Dad.)

My Dad was the best Dad that anyone could hope for...always there for you when you needed him, never missed an important moment in your life even though he lived 3 states away. He was loving, caring and supportive. He has a love of life that I hope to have and that I strive to have. He could make the best of any bad situation, again...someday I hope to be more like him in that way. Not a day goes by that I don't think about him or wish I could pick up the phone to tell him about my day and I definitely miss his big bear hugs! (OK, so I just teared up a little, even though my crazy son is still jumping around!)

Father's Day was very difficult for a long time (still is a little hard). Then I met my husband. I think that he has a lot of the same qualities of my Dad and I think that I why I chose to spend the rest of my life with him. I see how he is with our son and I know that our son will never look back and wonder if his Father loved him. He will know it without a doubt. He is loving and caring with our son, plays with him, hugs him and kisses him ALL the time and I know he is dying to have a catch with him in the back yard once he is old enough!

So now Father's Day is joyful again...I have joy in watching my husband and son play on the floor, joy in making him breakfast in bed and my son looking proud as if he had some role in making the breakfast that Daddy was enjoying and joy in what the future holds for our family.

Well, going to play a game with my family and then get ready to head over to my in-laws house for dinner. A dinner that we were supposed to bring corn to, but for some reason my MIL already got corn so now I have 16 ears of corn and nothing to do with them. Oh well, I am closing my eyes and magically I am in a buoyant log floating along with Br'er Fox, Br'er Bear and Br'er Rabbit finding my laughing place! (Ok, so maybe there will be a little Disney in this post!)

Happy Father's Day to all out there!

No comments:

Post a Comment